- 1000 WordsTed Lawson2019-07-02T22:04:04+00:00
- Wise Men-tegrationTed Lawson2019-04-28T02:27:04+00:00
- Blue Sky Red SquareTed Lawson2018-10-19T15:55:25+00:00
- Showtime IIITed Lawson2017-12-12T21:32:56+00:00
- Evening Light NDTed Lawson2018-08-31T13:05:12+00:00
- Street People – Then and NowTed Lawson2018-06-04T01:00:59+00:00
- Waiting for ChangeTed Lawson2019-05-21T01:01:58+00:00
- Passage to AsiaTed Lawson2017-10-17T01:58:36+00:00
I am a contemporary artist who designs and paints in watercolor. When I am not painting in watercolor I may be taking photos for my sketchbook to paint later or I may be teaching watercolor painting to people that want to learn to design and paint in watercolor or I may be traveling the world looking for people and things to paint later or I may be playing golf or thinking about painting my next entry for watercolor society competition. But then there is the time I spend exhibiting watercolor paintings at my Cleveland Ohio gallery space. So, there is a lot of watercolor involved in what I am all about.
It took me a while to get to this point. I’m from Indiana but grew up in Phoenix Arizona. I’m a US Navy veteran who deployed three times to Yankee Station during the Viet Nam conflict. I was always interested in art but not enough to go to art school. I chose engineering instead. But I studied with the best watercolor teachers I could find and was coached by my favorite teacher, Bette Elliott.
I live in Canton Ohio with Patricia, a “cat lady” who is a former high school Spanish teacher. Our one daughter, Emily is a theatre attorney. She and her husband Guy work in the Broadway production niche in Manhattan. I’m a signature member of the American Watercolor Society. I’m represented by Gallery + in Cleveland Ohio at the 78th Street Studios.
The editor of a recent publication knows of my engineering background and asked how such a mechanical engineer became a watercolor artist. I turned that around on him by asking the obvious, “How did an artist ever become a mechanical engineer?” Think, Leonardo DaVinci.